Sunday, November 8, 2009

sunday Nov 08 2009 - I return to work tomorrow!


Well, the post-op surgery recovery at home comes to a conclusion this evening. I return to my workplace tomorrow after 2-plus weeks away from there. I was able to work from home for the past week, and I am very appreciative to my immediate director, Ed Musgrave, and my three teammates: Bill Shumate, Mo Hazineh, and Chuck Devlin for their flexibility and assistance as I worked from the house. I haven't had to wear a pair of dress pants since the surgery date 10/22/2009, nor hard shoes (or really any shoes!) and just remembering to shave has been an ongoing battle!

The alarm will go off at 5am tomorrow, and that in itself will be a real system shock! Though I do admit that most of the 2--plus weeks have seen me rise between 3:30 and 5am, I guess it is my system fighting back against that life of leisure :o) The two weeks of rest-and-recuperation have been welcomed and muchly needed.

OK. back to business. Yesterday, Saturday, laurie and I went to Trader Joes to get some rations. I have been reading alot about Tader Joes on the Thinnertimes.com gastric bypass site, and the Norcross store did not dissapoint. I found lots of GB-friendly foods there, the store is similar to a Whole Foods or Harris Teeter, but a good bit smaller. Most of the offerings are of the organic variety, with alot of single-serve and pre-prepared items. I bought several seafood offerings like seafood stew and Garlic and pepper Tilapia, vegetarian lasagne, and a Maine crab soup and corn chowder. We enjoyed our excursion and time together - even with our 2-plus weeks of extended togetherness, there have been times where we were in the same house but in different worlds! Lauries daughter Bridgette is ready to deliver her baby at any time, in fact last night (sun AM 3:30) Laurie got a call from Bridgette that she was in labor and on her way to the hospital (she is living in Houston TX with her boyfriend and boyfriends Mom and family - that is another long story). But later today we got a call that Bridgette had been sent "back home" as the labor was not as active as first thought. That alone has kept Laurie on her toes. I'm back in my office "working from home" and the next thing you know is that it is bedtime. And at my age, that means 9pm :oD

Last night I went to Gainesville, GA to meet with the Greater Gainesville Georgia Gator Group to watch the footballgame vs Vanderbilt. Night games are rougher on the Gator Club, as the Monkey Barrel where they normally meet starts the live music around 9pm, so for now the G5 group is meeting at the Elks Lodge for the night games. The Lodge is one nice place! A full bar and very remarkable menu - everything from loaded burgers to steaks and seafood. I had the blackened salmon and a baked potatoe, and ate about 1/2 of each. I left at halftime and made it home in time to watch the last quarter on TV (espn2), but..... fell asleep :o)

The meal was very good, I made sure to mash up the salmon very thoroughly and chew chew chew. Same with the potatoe. Mash Mash Mash, chewe chew chew. Mom sent me home with a dozen new soups for my freezer. Mmmmmm!

Today was a 'clear things up' day, as I prepare to return to work. I had to rebuild my briefcase, making sure I know where my badge is, and make sure that my lunch box is ready. I cooked the Garlic Tilapia on the grill today and the small pack came in three pieces - I cooked all three pieces and ate one for lunch - and dinner. I'm taking another piece to work tomorrow for lunch, along with one of mom's frozen soup.

I found a baby formula divided container that Courtney had evidently left over here, and I am going to use it to take my Protein Mix - along with my Swiss Miss chocolate powder and a single Splenda packet. And my iGo mixer. And a water bottle. I also am taking two small containers - one with a tbsp of mayonaisse and a forkfull of ChowChow (for homemade tartar sauce) and one container with Salsa (from Sams - they have an amazing salsa creation there). I will proabably take a baked potatoe, too, but hope I can buy one in the cafeteria (for $1, a great deal).

I can also have a single serving of egg for breakfast, and maybe a small order of grits. And a 8oz V8 - spicy!

Dr. Richard said to be aware that my energy level will be less than before - I guess time will tell on that one. I have been walking alot, and NOT using the electric cart at Publix during my visits there (like tonight, needed dog food). I am sure I will get some exercise at work, too. My friends are going to be insistent on that.

Well, that is about it. I will post more tomorrow - thanks everyone for reading and for putting up with my rants. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment