Monday, November 9, 2009

Monday Nov 09 2009 - Back to work! today was a great day.


today was a remarkable day - went back to work for the first time in 2 1/2 weeks, and started OnCall as soon as I got there. Sure enough, there were enough issues crop up today that the day flew by and I really felt good at the end of the day. I took a single serving of Mom's soup, a serving of Garlic Tilapia, some homemade tartar sauce (mayo, chowchow, celery seed, some wasabi) and Sams salsa. I also took a single serving of gelatin, pudding, and yogurt, but ate none of those last three. I took the baby formula powder carrier with 2 protein mix servings and my vitamins, and my hand blender, and had my protein early in the day. I can't believe I actually have missed that "industrial strength" coffee we make in the break room. I meant to get to the cafeteria for a single serving of egg before they closed at 8:30am, but time got away from me.



The next thing I knew, lunchtime was upon us. Several friends asked if I wanted to go to our local "all you can eat Chinese buffet" :o) I said "anytime"! I told them I would love to go, but I wouldn't be eating like they were accustomed to see me eat. I know better! But I encouraged all of them to treat me the same as they always have - I know what I can and cannot do, and I will not deny myself things that I want - I will just be very closely monitoring what I eat and when, and how quickly..... so instead of 12 or 15 wings I might have 2. Instead of two plates at the chinese buffet, I might have a deseert-sized plate with some vegetables and some captain Tso's chicken (a piece or two)... but this is my deal, and I am prepared to deal with it for now and for the rest of my life. I also had several conversations with folks that wanted to "know more about "it"" so I gave them the web page of the surgeons group that I used http://www.obesitysolutions.com/ . I bet word-of-mouth keeps those Doc's business humming.



I took my time and ate my lunch very slowly, all the while answering the phone and responding to pages that were plaguing is today as over 1million extra inquiries hit our production servers (at almost $4/inquiry, that extra income more than covered MY expenses for the day :o) But those extra inquiries really maxed out the mainframe, and it wasn't till about 4pm that everything got caught up. It sure was a nice way to end the day - worked hard, felt like I made a difference, and friends visited all day to see "the new Steve".



When I awoke this morning I hit the scale and found that I have lost a total of 34 pounds! I have over 100 pounds to go, but already I feel great. I noticed several differences today as I wore "dress clothes" for the first time since surgery. First, I could get my socks on much easier. My pants fit better (still in the same pants for now. I have a nice "set" of pants!) My belts are way too big! What used to be a small section after the buckle is now a LONG section that I have to fold and wrap to keep from flapping around. My shirts feel better. and this may be odd, but my truck does not have electric windows, and as I approached the parking deck and got my badge out to "badge in", I found that I was able to roll down my drivers window without knocking my knees together as I manipulated the window handle. Another oddity is how cold I am! Even on the way in, I had the windows rolled up and a bit of heat on. The same is going on at the house. Long sleeved shirts, sweat pants, and I now sleep under several blankets! I am just cold cold cold!



I get to (again) work from home tomorrow, as regularly scheduled, and I go to my family doctor, Dr. Christopher Crooker, for a checkup. I am going to get him to run a bloodwork series just to ensure that my vitamins and such are in line - especially my iron and calcium. I take both those as part of the regieme I am on, but I just wanna be sure. tomorrow at 2pm is a phone conference call with our VP at work - just the DBA group (Alpharetta and Boca Raton, FL) - the good Lord knows what this call is about, but I sure wish I did. with the layoffs last week in the department just across from me, everyone is a bit nervous. I'm not quite there yet, but who knows! That school bus driver opening is looking better and better.... I just wish it paid $125K :o) Yeah, don't we all.



Hurricane Ida is on its way to our area - it missed Cancun barely - I bet Michelle and Peter, our friends there, are feeling prettty good. BTW, they have five or so condos at The Solymar that they personally rent - if you are looking for a great and CHEAP way to see Cancun, give Michelle and peter a holler - http://www.cancunresortcondos.com/ . Laurie and I are looking forward to returning there in 2010 at some point - I want to see how my knee feels in about a year (or less?) before we go back to Cancun. It will also be our 10th anniversary in 2010 and we are trying to think of somewhere different to vacation for that special celebration. Anyone have any good ideas?



G'night all. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment