Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday 10-26-2009 4th day Post-Op - Am I hungry?

I have to get past a mental block. I think that I am hungry, but am I really hungry? Yesterday was a tough day for me, and I am just 4 days out of surgery! I thought about food all day – of course the TV and periodicals are slam full of advertisements for every kind of food you can think of, so that doesn’t help, but it is life – and I really have to get over that.
My abdomen is still tender, but I had major surgery! My stomach was split in two pieces and stapled, my intestines were disconnected and reconnected – I will be swollen for quite a while. But why am I hungry? I am doing a great deal of reading about what others have gone through and found several good resources out there – it is interesting to differentiate between the “amateurs” out there and the corporate-sponsored sites. Everyone seems to have an agenda.
I read of some folks that are weeks or months post-op and can’t even look at food without getting sick. I see some that pop right back from surgery (like me?) and never look back. And there are some that suffer for weeks or months with medical complications. I am indeed fortunate.
Today I tried a recommendation I found on www.bariatriceating.com (an amateur site that has now morphed to a corporate-sponsored one). As part of my post-op therapy, I have to make sure I get 95grams of protein a day. I use a powered protein supplement (like bodybuilders use!) called IsoPure. One blogger there mixes their IsoPure with their morning drink. Hmmmm. 2 scoops – 50g of protein, so I tried one scoop with a cup of coffee, 1 pack of Splenda, and my hand mixer (this little iGo hand mixer is a jewel!) and Poof! I have a very tasty cappuccino-like drink. Very nice. I’m on my 2nd cup this morning, which ensures one-half of my daily protein requirements. I also found a nice “liquid diet” approved soup recipe: one can of black beans (drained), ½ cup of salsa, 1 cup chicken broth. Mix in blender, makes 2 servings. EAT ONLY ONE SERVING at a time. (Remember, you dumb schmuck, you are NOT hungry, you only think you are!). I’m going to try this for “lunch”. I get my supply of wonderful soups on Friday afternoon from my brother Ken, his wife Lisa, Mom Happy – frozen and ready to eat!
Also found a neat recipe for Phase 2 (soft foods), cottage cheese pancakes! Cottage cheese, diced onions (from www.beforeandafterhelp.com )

  • Half a medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon butter (I actually don't use any butter. I just sauté with PAM and some butter spray instead)
  • 1 egg (I use egg substitute instead)
  • 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • saltpepper


I feel much better with a bit of caffeine in me. Today is my first day “on leave” from work (at my workplace, any time away from work is considered “leave”). I am taking it easy, trying to stay busy (and keep from thinking about food), and healing well.
Thanks for reading, thanks for caring, and thanks for being part of my life – my new life! Onward, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading your blogs, Steve . . . especially when you sound "UP". You are thinking positively and seem very up-beat. I'm SO happy for you and proud of you. Keep researching and blogging and just living this wonderful life that you have.

    ReplyDelete