Saturday, October 31, 2009

Friday 10/30/2009 Post-Op followup with Dr. Richard


I had a great Post-Op visit with Dr. Richard. As I walked into the Dr's office, I noticed the others in the waiting room. There were at least six other "big" patients there, and some looked very unhappy. I figured the unhappy ones were probably there post-op and suffering through that two-week liquid diet, like I was two weeks ago. Others that were leaving with bags of vitamin supplements and protein powder seemed much happier (like me!). As I waited, the receptionist asked me to fill out a standard form that described my post-op status and had a list of 16 (sixteen!) maladies that often affect weight-loss-surgery (WLS) patients - and I was able to answer 'no symptoms' to all of them. I hope and pray that continues just like it is.


The doctor first noticed my Gator shirt. As a Harvard grad, he said he didn't have a "dog in that fight". Bad euphemism! He then "inspected" my abdomen and said everything looked good (other than the bruising, which he thought would get worse before it started to get better). I asked my questions (diabetes, blood pressure, goal weight) and he said I was free to move on to Phase 2 of the recovery diet. That means I can start to add softened solids, like fish and chicken. big day!


It was a cold and rainy day outside, but I felt pretty good! My brother Ken and I went to Sams to look at an item he is thinking of buying, and since it was lunchtime, we went to a Thai restaurant nearby. I thought I could find something on the menu that met my dietary needs - and I did. But I think my stomach (pouch!) overruled my brain, and my selections were not the best :o) I enjoyed eating the limited amount that I did (5 or 6 shrimp, soup, some veggies well chewed), but the rest of the day was uncomfortable. I see that the predictions that my new stomach would dictate my dietary comings-and-goings were indeed correct! A good friend who also had this GB surgery said that I would step over the line once, but not twice. Well, consider that done!


Today is 10/31/2009, Halloween, and the Florida/Georgia football game. And tomorrow is November! The Christmas tree goes up next weekend (why wait?).


Have a great day! Steve

1 comment:

  1. Yes, be careful with what you eat and the amount, Steve. My good friend, who also had this surgery, ended up in the hospital a couple of times because she either ate something she wasn't supposed to or too much of something. Not fun. It's easy to do that as you start feeling better also.

    SO proud of you. Hope you're feeling well today!

    ReplyDelete