Friday, October 23, 2009

I'm back! Sitting up, eating 1oz of ice, feeling pretty good. Not hungry!

Courtney and the boys picked me up at 6:15am and took me to the hospital. Laurie stayed behind; I was worried that she might pick something up at the hospital in her weakened state, and she reluctantly agreed with me. As we pulled up to the entry way, Happy and Doc (my parents) were right behind us! Hugs were exchanged all around.
Dad and I proceeded to the Surgery Waiting Area while Mom and Cournty ran an errand, and about 7:50am (right on time!) I was called back for PreOp. The nurse gave me the ever-popular hospital gown that ties in the back :o) and a set of compression socks (knee high) and the non-skid footie socks. An IV was started, the Anesthesiologist came in and talked for a bit, and I was ready! The nurse I was assigned revealed that she had gastric bypass surgery five years ago, dropping from 287 to 137. She had Obesity Solutions do her surgery as well. And sure as “grits are groceries”, the OR Nurse came for me at 9:30AM. These folks are on time!
The Operating Room was very cold, with three HD monitors hanging from the ceiling and three of the large OR lamps. The operating table was a very thin mattress, maybe 2 ft wide. When I arrived, two of the OR nurses started to build-out the table, increasing its width, installing arm boards, and installing a foot board. I scooted from the hospital bed to the OR table and the nurse put a blue hairnet on me. I asked about the foot board and was told that for this procedure, I will be rotated so that my head is higher than my feet, and the footboard (along with a seat belt at my knees) will keep me from sliding off the table.
The anesthesiologist peered down at me next and placed a mask over my nose and mouth and said “breathe very deeply, Mr. Jones”. And that was all that I remember.
My next memory is waking up in recovery and having to go to the bathroom badly. I tried to get out of bed (nope! Can’t do that!) and the nurse told me that I had been catheterizedand was urinating just fine. I had my BiPap machine on my face, which made my recovery a biteasier. I felt this intense pain around my midsection, again like someone had hit me in the gut with a bat. About 1pm I was wheeled to my room (6717) and got settled. My brother Ken was there (I think), and I kinda went in and out of consciousness for a short while. I was allowed to have some ice chips, and boy were they good ice chips! I called Laurie and told her that everuthing went well, and later in the evening Courtney and Lisa came up to visit for a bit, it was good to see them. I watched a bit of TV and went to sleep around 9pm. I woke up at 1am and wanted to sit up for a minute, and proceeded to knock over my ice, drop the TV controller, get my feet caught up in the covers and pull loose one of the compressive leg sleeves. I was a mess! I did see the TV controller and was able to press the “call” button with my big toe. Success! When the nurse came in she got a good laugh out of my predicament. Once I got settled we went for a short walk – it seemed like a marathon, but I am sure it wsa just 30 or 40 feet down, and back. Still just in my hospital gown – commando!
Well one thing is different. I am not hungry!
More later. It is 4am on Friday, 10/23/2009

No comments:

Post a Comment