Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Dec 7 and 8, 2009 Mon and Tue - Dr's visit and Working from Home and Chicken-and-Rice!


Monday found a return to work, and boy, did my legs hurt! I guess Ken and I did a lot of walking during the SEC Championship Football game…. I read a Facebook post about cooking Chicken and Rice, and boy, did it sound good. I have a C/R recipe I like, so I stopped at Publix on the way home Monday evening and bought a pack of boneless, skinless thighs, a can of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom with garlic and spices soup, and a container of Texmati Royal Blend rice (a mix of Basmati, wild rice, and red rice). Instead of water I use chicken broth, 1C of the rice, 1can of soup, 3cans Broth, 1/2stick butter or margarine, all in a rectangular casserole dish, stir well. Lay 4 or 5 of the boneless, skinless thighs on top of this mixture, season to taste, preheat oven to 350, and bake for 90 minutes.

And it sat very well with my new stomach! I was concerned about the effects of the rice, and I was very light on the rice for the first serving – but everything went fine! In fact, I have had leftovers for 2 days. Mmm Mmm Good!

On Tuesday I had 2 doctors’ appointments, with the first being with my Endocrinologist, Dr. Neland Shenoy. My appt was at 9am, I was there at 9am, and the waiting room was already full. Bad Omen. My 2nd appointment was with my Family Physician, Dr. Crooker (well, actually a P.A. at that office, Richard Petit). I was still in Dr. Shenoy’s waiting room at 10:15am and there were now people standing! I decided that if I was still waiting at 10:30am I would leave. And find a new Endocrinologist! There is no excuse to be 90 minutes late at 9am.

And as fate would have it, the nurse called me back right at 10:15. As she was weighing me and recording my vital signs, she realized that I was the wrong “Stephen”! But since I was back in the exam area, she was not going to make me go back out there. Gee, wasn’t that nice. I could tell by the nurses attitude that this was already a very bad day for her, too. My weight on their scale was 277 (271 at my home scale), my BP and O2 were fine, and I was left in an exam room to meet with the doctor. It was now 10:30am.

And in walks…a P.A.! Dr Shenoy now has some help! He was very friendly and spent quality time with me, and we discussed my GBP surgery and overall health. My A1C was unchanged at 8.2, but he said that this measurement runs about 90 days behind the trend. He recommended I start on Metformin ER but not change any other meds (no insulin, no glimiperide, etc) and start blood testing twice a day (Laurie took my sugar monitor to TX with her :o). He then wants me to fax the 4-week readings back to their office so they can decide where to go from here.

I bolted out of there and hit the GPS in Laurie’s Kia Borrego to find the fastest route to Dr. Crooker's office, and I arrived there right at 11:15a.m. I didn’t sit down in the waiting room good and I was being called back by the nurse. After she weighed me and took vitals, she reviewed my drug list and asked one-by-one if I was still on Regicide. Regicide? I’m not on Regicide. Oops! She called back the wrong Stephen, too. But she went ahead and put me in an exam room, and before she even got turned around good, Richard Petit walked in. I told him of my ears “percolating”, and he examined them. No obstruction or excessive wax (very surprising!). He recommended I take Mucinex (otc) to help with the slight pressure he detected behind my eardrum. This office converted to all-digital in the summer 2009, so he was able to transmit the prescription (Z-Pack) to my pharmacy (Publix in Dacula), shook my hand, I whisked by the receptionist, and I was back in my car by 11:30. 15 minutes total! What an odd day.

I returned home and got Koko out of his “enclosure”, and ate some of the Chicken and Rice leftover, drank my IsoPure protein drink, worked from home (it was cold and rainy outside). I went over to Courtney’s for dinner and got to play with Caden (Peirce stayed the night at his grandmothers) and had a nice chat with Courtney. Donley had to work late. When that was over I drifted home, did some school work, chatted with Laurie in Sugarland, TX, and went to bed. It was a very full day!

No comments:

Post a Comment