Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


I remember my Christmas mornings from my youth well, but one of the fondest memories was of my parents on those chaotic mornings. With 4 kids it was an energetic time, and generally way before dawn on Christmas day, after a full evening of ‘can’t we open just ONE present on Christmas Eve?” Finally Christmasx morning would come and Mom and Dad would make sure that all four of us were up and somewhat awake (WE were all awake, it was Mom & Dad that were shaking the cobwebs out after a long night of making sure that Santa had everything all taken care of). We would each take a turn opening a gift, first checking with Mom to see if it was OK to tear open the wrapping paper or having to try to ‘save’ the paper for future use. Once all those formalities were worked out we would tear open the gift, squeal with ‘oohs’ and ‘aaahhs’, and then gather all of the paper, tissue paper, connectors, and trash, and hand them to Dad who had a large plastic trash bag at the ready. Then it was my brother or sisters turn. As we worked through this, it was exciting to see who gave out of gifts first. I remember when I got my High School class ring as a gift, while my younger brothers and sisters had many more individual gifts than I did. I ran out of gifts to open early that year, but the ring was a wonderful gift and a sign that I was growing up. Christmas Mornings were orderly, somewhat structured, and made for some wonderful memories. And no mess! After all of the gifts were opened we would reassemble all of the carefully under the tree with the reminder from Mom and Dad that Santa would base NEXT years gifts based on how well we took care of THIS years gifts.
After Courtney and Chris were born and we were with my (ex) wife’s family for Christmas morning one year, I remember how different it was to watch as all of their kids and grandkids opened everything at once – it was crazy! but a tradition in their family and another flavor of how families spend their Christmas mornings This year, with just Laurie and I (empty nesters!), it was our dog Koko that watched with rapt attention as we opened our gifts – I think he was hoping that each brightly wrapped package was somehow a treat for him! And Koko had the most number of gifts, which brought all of this full circle for me. Oh how excited he was to see the new chew toy, and how neutral he acted about the pretty new treat canister (it even says “Stud” in bright blue letters). But when you get to be “my age”, Christmas is so much more than how many gifts, or what gifts, or even gifts, period..…. Both Laurie and I opened out gifts to each other and relished in the thought and love that each represented (socks!), remembering back to our Christmases past (my Dad always said ‘you can never have enough socks’), and looking forward to Christmases future with our kids and grandkids later that day and the next. It’s a celebration that can span several days, as my Mother likes to say “it’s a moveable feast”. And indeed, it is. A feast for the soul, the heart, and the memories. Thank goodness for our digital media so we can save in a visual form so many of those moments!
And right next to me was a large plastic trash bag, ready for the cardboard, Styrofoam popcorn, wire wrappers and such. Now when Courtney brings my two grandsons over today for our Christmas together, I wonder what the protocol will be for opening those gifts? Peirce is more aware of Christmas this year, and my gut tells me that HE will be making the rules :o)
I've loaded all of the pics at my flickr page. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your families. Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment