Thursday, January 14, 2010

100 pounds down! Onederland! January 14, 2010


January 14, 2010. 100 pounds down! In the WLS family, this milestone is considered “Onederland”. 38 pounds to go. I am 12 weeks post-op today. (Lap RNY on 10/22/2009. (“Lap” means Laparoscopically done, “RNY” means Roux-EnY method of gastric bypass surgery. Check out this link for more details. There is a video of a RNY procedure if you are really interested and not too squeamish!)

This week has been especially hectic at work as we have our database vendor in-house for a periodic checkup on our environment. This means very little time at my desk as we are in meetings and presentations, but still the work has to get done! My day yesterday went from 6am to 5:30pm, and when I got home about 7:30, I just collapsed in the bed. And here I am for day 2! I do get tomorrow off as I was on call last week; Laurie and I are off to Birmingham AL for the weekend to see Matt Dusk in concert and wander around. We’ve been to Cancun many times, but never Birmingham!

The vendor folks did take us out for a very nice lunch yesterday, and I had a Pollo Especial fajita, but of course did not indulge in the tortillas at all. There were six shrimp on the platter, with a chicken breast, Mexican sausage and grilled onions and peppers. I was surprised at how really tasty the entire offering was, but I ate only what I felt comfortable eating: all six shrimp  some of the chicken, and all of the onions, peppers, and cheese. I worried a bit about the last part as it was pretty greasy, but I had a great afternoon – other than having to work 3 hours late! For dinner I stopped at Jason’s Deli and got Laurie a tuna croissant and a cup of chili; I got a bowl of their wonderful seafood gumbo, but when I got home I ate 2 spoonfuls and just felt like that was enough. I did save the rest!

I was so tired that I was in bed before 8pm, and again arose at 4am for another day with the vendors. This is not as big an ordeal as I am making it out to be. The vendor brought along their expert in the database field – she is considered the top expert in this field worldwide. It was as if Paula Dean had showed up to a cooking class at a local community school! We stayed as late as possible just to learn everything I could from her – the hours spent yesterday probably taught me more than I have learned in this field in the past 10 years. And she offered to come back every few months for ½ day sessions if we would like her to! How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment